Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Elements and How to Keep Them

Most days, I could go either way when it comes to a certain popular web video site. I have subscribed to some people who post regularly, but I tend to lose interest after a while. In most cases. Not, however, in the case of the University of Nottingham's The Periodic Table of Videos (their main site is here). These videos are genuinely worth your time, even if you don't have the slightest interest in chemistry.

A case in point: their most recent posting, which really deserves a look:


Additionally, around the holidays, this was one of my personal favorites:



Personally, I think these videos are amusing, intelligent, and fascinating. But that's one person's opinion. What's your view? Post it in the comments.

Interested in starting your own collection of elements, but don't have the $2,000 mentioned in the video for even the basic set? You can at least dip your toe in the shallow end - check out those available from the Beagle, by following this link to the webstore:



And if you have your own element questions, don't forget that there's at least one person at the Beagle with more than just a little chemistry knowledge...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually began watching these videos about a month ago, and I dare say I watched the 118 element videos (consecutively) in two days. I personally enjoy listening to Dr. Poliakoff talk more than I do watching the others blow stuff up. I agree with your assessment that these are intelligent videos, and would highly recommend them to anybody who is even the slightest bit curious about chemistry.

William said...

I have to admit that I am a sucker for things being blown up, but I concur wholeheartedly with your point on listening to Dr Poliakoff: he's just too good to be missed.

I'm working my way through the video library now, and am always pleased to see that there's a new one for the viewing.